Date:      Mon, 4 Jan 1999 14:42:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: read DMA channel unavailable

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Randy Bush wrote:

> Jan  2 10:57:34 rip /kernel: sorry, read DMA channel unavailable
> Jan  2 11:04:05 rip /kernel: sorry, read DMA channel unavailable
> Jan  2 12:48:33 rip /kernel: sorry, read DMA channel unavailable
> Jan  2 12:53:56 rip /kernel: sorry, read DMA channel unavailable
> Jan  2 12:55:37 rip /kernel: sorry, read DMA channel unavailable
> Jan  2 16:15:30 rip /kernel: sorry, read DMA channel unavailable
> Jan  2 16:20:06 rip /kernel: sorry, read DMA channel unavailable
> Jan  2 16:23:52 rip /kernel: sorry, read DMA channel unavailable
> Jan  2 16:57:32 rip /kernel: sorry, read DMA channel unavailable
> Jan  2 17:26:42 rip /kernel: sorry, read DMA channel unavailable
> Jan  2 17:35:33 rip /kernel: sorry, read DMA channel unavailable
> Jan  2 17:39:19 rip /kernel: sorry, read DMA channel unavailable
> Jan  2 17:48:41 rip /kernel: sorry, read DMA channel unavailable
> Jan  2 18:07:12 rip /kernel: sorry, read DMA channel unavailable
>
> should i be concerned?

It's helpful to summarize the hardware in your PC when including such
output, a mail like this stands a pretty good chance of getting you
ignored or flamed.

with that said, and having experianced the same 'problem' i would say:

No, don't worry if you have a sound card and get this message when doing
audio work (pcm driver).  I don't know why this appeared, but it started
showing up on my home machine a month or so ago, it happens everytime i
tell x11amp to play a mp3.  (it plays fine though)

everytime i play something i get 3 of theses messages on my consol, i
spoke to Luigi about it and he said it's because sometimes soundblasters
flip status registers, and that i shouldn't be concerned.

So, if you are using a soundblaster (mine is a SB16) and the pcm driver
and get this when playing audio, then ignore it, otherwise send a more
verbose mail explaining what hardware is in your system and when these
messages get spewed out.

thanks,
-Alfred