Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 09:32:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Mike Pritchard <mpp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current panic w/linux netscape

:I finally saw my first -current panic in more than 5 months (not a bad
:track record).
:
:I have a panic that I can duplicate with a 24 hour old "make world"
:and a 4 hour old -current kernel.  If I run the linux netscape (installed
:from ports less than a week ago), the kernel panics in copystr().
:Minimal gdb output follows.  I'll have to generate a kernel with
:debug info for more information.
:
:The linux netscape worked fine with my old kernel from 9/16.
:I'm willing to try and track this down, but I hope someone
:will pop up and have an idea what is wrong.
:
:-Mike

    Compile your kernel with debugging.  In the kernel configuration file
    in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/YOURCONFIGFILE, add:

	makeoptions     DEBUG="-g"

    Then config the kernel and rebuild.

    When you make install, the non-debug version will be installed and the
    debug version will be sitting in the compile directory as 'kernel.debug'.

    Then reboot, then cause the crash again and get another core (be sure
    to clear out space from /var/crash if necessary).

    Now bring the system up again, and use this for your gdb:

	cd /var/crash
	gdb -k /usr/src/sys/compile/YOURCONFIGNAME/kernel.debug vmcore.XX

    And do the 'back' again to get the stack backtrace.  You should see a
    whole lot more information.

						-Matt