Date:      Wed, 07 Mar 2012 15:01:34 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network interface aliasing?

--------------enig0C83A867FE3CC6907A9B5930

On 07/03/2012 14:39, Brent Clark wrote:
> I would like to ask.
>=20
> Is it possible to, do network interface aliasing. Im not talking about
> ip aliasing.
>=20
> I basically want to bind one process to network interface vr0:0 and
> another process to vr0:1.

Yes, you can have alias addresses very easily:

    ifconfig em0 inet 192.0.2.2/24 alias

or in /etc/rc.conf:

    ipv4_addrs_em0=3D"192.0.2.1/24 192.0.2.2/24"

(But I think this is what you mean by IP aliasing?) Since this is BSD,
we don't have the SysV-ish idea of separate devices just for aliases.
In fact, in *BSD once you've added the alias, it's just one of the
addresses on the interface, co-equal with all the others.  You could go
on to remove the original address, which makes it easy to renumber a
host without downtime.

You usually don't need a separate device in any case: just configuring a
daemon to listen using a specific IP is all that is needed for almost
all purposes.  What exactly is it you are trying to achieve and why
isn't it suitable to use aliases as above?

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3