Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 1996 17:42:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      kline@tera.com (Gary Kline)
To:        fqueries@parody.tecc.co.uk (James Raynard)
Cc:        kline@tera.com, wollman@lcs.mit.edu, jbarrm@panix.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp from shell, & starting X

According to James Raynard:

> On Mon, 1 Jan 1996, Gary Kline wrote:
>
> > 		Could you (or another network-savvy wizard) publish
> > 		sample /etc/hosts, /etc/sysconfig, and /etc/network
> > 		files?  Else point me to a tutorial doc?
>
> I don't think I qualify as a network-savvy wizard, but here are the
> critical files from /etc that I use to connect with PPP. My machine
> is parody (193.128.6.83) and the machine I connect to is luggage
> (193.128.6.129).

	Thanks for this information.  It will serve as a
	benchmark.  A starting place.

> I don't run a name server on my machine, but rely on luggage to do this
> for me. However, this means the resolver needs some way of looking up
> luggage's IP address when I'm not connected to it. This is achieved by
> telling it to look in /etc/hosts first and to use BIND only if the
> machine it needs isn't in there.
>
> To do this, I have a /etc/host.conf file with the following:-
>
> hosts
> bind
>
> and luggage's details are in /etc/hosts, along with various other
> machines I might need when DNS isn't available:-
>
> 127.0.0.1               localhost
>
> 193.128.6.83            parody.tecc.co.uk
> 193.128.6.129           luggage.tecc.co.uk
> 193.128.6.145           handbag.tecc.co.uk
>
> [handbag is the news server I use, BTW]
>
> Finally, the resolver needs to know which domain we're in and where to
> find the nameserver - /etc/resolv.conf:-
>
> domain tecc.co.uk
> nameserver 193.128.6.129
>
> And here's the Netconfig part of /etc/sysconfig, with the comments
> omitted for brevity:-
>
> hostname="parody.tecc.co.uk"
> tcp_extensions=YES
> network_interfaces="lo0"
> ifconfig_lo0="inet localhost"
>
> #static_routes="multicast loopback"
> #route_multicast="224.0.0.0 -netmask 0xf0000000 -interface ${hostname}"
> #route_loopback="${hostname} localhost"

	Why do you have the above 3 lines commented out?  Or, more
	to the point, what's the purpose of multicast and loopback?

> defaultrouter=NO
> routedflags=NO
> timedflags=NO
> xntpdflags="NO"
> tickadjflags="-Aq"
> ntpdate="NO"
> rwhod=NO
>
> sendmail_flags="-bd"
> amdflags="NO"
> nfs_client="NO"
> nfs_server="NO"
> nis_clientflags="NO"
> nis_ypsetflags="NO"
> nis_serverflags="NO"
> yppasswddflags="NO"
> namedflags="NO"
> pcnfsd=NO
> apache_httpd=NO
> xtend=NO
> dumpdev=/dev/sd0s1b
> savecore=YES
> kerberos_server=NO
> gateway=NO
> gated=NO
> check_quotas=NO
> accounting=NO
>
> Note that this is for a stand-alone machine - I had to return the other
> half of my network to its owner 8-( In particular, I run sendmail without
> the "-q" flag and run the queue as part of my PPP connection script
> instead.

	My BSD system is stand-alone too.  I work about 50% remote,
	telecommuting.

	Awhile back, several days ago I was able to get mail over my
	PPP link (somehow) from work (tera.com) to my home system,
	(tao.thought.org).   As of this morning I see that this isn't
	working.  I imagine that this is part of my sendmail.cf setup.

	I've been working on getting Taylor uucp working so that when
	I am _not_ working via PPP  that mail will get across via uucp.
	Can I set it up so that mail will be received/sent across when
	I am connected by PPP *and* by uucp?  Or is this too much to
	expect?

	Thanks again; I'm taking notes!!

	gary