Date:      Sun, 7 Nov 2010 15:18:04 +0100
From:      Ulrich =?utf-8?B?U3DDtnJsZWlu?= <uqs@spoerlein.net>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Moving flex and yacc to contrib/, all hell breaks loose?

Hoi,

To my knowledge, the only "vendor" software in our tree, not yet living
under cddl/, contrib/, crypto/ or gnu/ are

lib/libc/softfloat
lib/libz
lib/msun
usr.bin/lex
usr.bin/unifdef
usr.bin/yacc

I'm not touching the lib parts for now, and for unifdef, see recent
post to current@. So flex and yacc remain (if you know of more sources
with an upstream development, not already listed on the Wiki under
http://wiki.freebsd.org/ContribSoftware please let me know!)

I have an universe-surviving svn tree ready for commit, that moves flex
to contrib/flex and only a stub Makefile in usr.bin/lex remains, like we
do with all other contributed software.

Do you foresee any problems this might cause for our clients or
commercial vendors? I'm pretty sure they wouldn't monkey around with our
lex/yacc too much, but you never know.

They usual argument that will now be brought against this is, that the
move should only be done, once a new vendor import is ready, but there
are other parts of our tree where imports have been done post-svn and
noone thought about moving the parts to the "right" places. So I'd
rather get this over with now and worry about the actual code updates
later.

Also, can someone tell me if I need to svn propdel svn:mergeinfo when
using the following steps:

$ cd freebsd/head
$ svn mv usr.bin/lex contrib/flex
$ svn rm contrib/flex/Makefile contrib/flex/lib/Makefile   # not needed here
$ svn revert usr.bin/lex/Makefile usr.bin/lex/lib/Makefile # need to keep them here
(hack the Makefiles)
$ svn propdel svn:mergeinfo -R contrib/flex # ??? required?
$ svn ci

Thanks,
Uli