Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 1995 15:24:51 +0100 (MET)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.org
To:        grog@lemis.de
Cc:        lyndon@orthanc.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Enough already! (Was: Where is the documentation for ibcs2?)

> Beyond that, I think we need to accept the fact that nobody has really
> explained how it works.  As Terry suspects, my vi that crapped out the
> other day was trying to find a shared library.  It's not clear from
> his mail whether it would have worked if it had found one.  In any
> case, debugging it with gdb doesn't work: it doesn't get as far as
> being executed.

You need a COFF debugger, preferably compile FreeBSD native...

> On the other hand, If anybody's interested, I have an almost complete
> set of GNU SVR3 binaries, including GNU libc, which I developed on an
> SCO system and which work there.  I've tried out a statically linked
> bash, and it works, sort of.  It does some strange things from time to
> time, such as deciding to receive an exit command, but it doesn't do
> that if I ktrace it.

Hmm, at the time I & Sean "invented" the iBCS2 (kernel)support I had
a complete SCO system (3.2.2) running chrooted on my machine, including
all the gnu stuff, so it can be done. I have NO idea if it works on
the current iBCS2 system as it has only the COFF loader (and shlib
support) in common with our original implementaion, the rest is
stole^H^H^H^H^Htaken from NetBSD and differs from what I have on
my boxes...

It is funny though that now of a sudden iBCS2 support is "discovered"
but nobody cared back in 1994 when it crept into the tree, so I (and
I think Sean too) lost momentum on this rather big project.
As Terry said there is MUCH MUCH more to iBCS2 emulation than the
kernel support, and we doesn't even have a start on that yet...
In my opinion we will at most get a 80% emulation, and that allready
would cost ALOT of work on the whole source tree, plus "reinventing"
lots & lots of SCO/svr3 utils etc etc...
By the time such a major undertaking could be done, nobody would
give a dime for that anymore as the world has moved meanwhile.
When one comes to that conclusion it is fair to say that one has
a pretty good understanding of the whole complex that is involved
in making iBCS2 emulation a "real thing".

Other that that doing the iBCS2 & the Linux emul was ALOT of fun..

take care....

Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time.