Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 2002 09:27:34 +0100 (BST)
From:      Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
To:        Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: aout support broken in gcc3

> GCC being able to produce a.out format binaries has nothing to do with
> the ability of a Lisp or Prolog to compile to object files,

Correct.

> and read such, whether said object files be a.out or ELF or COFF or PECOFF or
> Mach-O or ...

False.  As I said, I have systems that read a.out format object files
and they would need to be ported to read ELF object files instead.

Furthermore, they write themselves out (after loading object files) in
a.out format, and would need to be ported to write themselves out
in ELF format.

-- Richard