Date:      Fri, 30 May 1997 08:57:44 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: uucp uid's

As Don Yuniskis wrote:

> > I don't think there's a burning need why all the uucpers should have
> > the same UID, but i figure it doesn't hurt either.
>
> It's nicer if they have different uid's -- lets you be a bit more
> restrictive of the types of access you grant to each.  Also lets
> you see who's doing what...

I think it's more of a ``It must be better, since my teacher tought
me that each login needs a unque UID.'' argument.

UUCP tracks activities by system name anyway.  You can even get away
with a single login name for all peers, but they gotta share the same
password then (which is undesirable).  These accounts are only
supposed to run /usr/libexec/uucp/uucico, so the ``who's doing what''
argument is also a moot point.  UUCP access restrictions are also
placed per system, not per account.

The only argument that made sense so far was somebody who wanted to
run process accounting for them.

--
cheers, J"org