Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 23:13:36 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU
Subject:   Re: Broadcom  5701 (3com 3c996B-T) phy support in 4.5?

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 11:41:05AM -0800, John Polstra wrote:
> > From investigating the Linux driver, I gather there are a few features
> > in these chips which may need workarounds (e.g., the Debian driver
> > includes a new firmware image for some 5701 revs'; and forces master
> > mode in some revs, to avoid a CRC bug.  Caveat emptor.)
>
> Yes, there are quite a few mysterious workarounds in that driver.

We've had alot of trouble with the builtin card in our Dell 2550s.
I'm going to try swapping hardware to see if we've got a bad machine,
but I suspect the chip is just plain broken. Where can you get the
Linux driver from? I might try stealing some of the hacks in it to
see if it fixes the problems we're seeing.

	David.