Date:      Wed, 17 Aug 2011 14:55:14 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Lars Eighner <luvbeastie@larseighner.com>
Cc:        Rui Silva <rsilva.pt@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISO images

Lars Eighner wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2011, Rui Silva wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to install FreeBSD for the first time but I have some doubts regarding
> > the ISO images.
> >
> > I have downloaded an ISO image (FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-i386-dvd1.iso) via
> > torrent, but soon realised that the packages collection was very poor when
> > compared to
> > "ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/8.2-RELEASE/packages/"
> >
> > Is there any complete ISO image that includes all the packages I saw in
> > "ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/8.2-RELEASE/packages/"? That
> > would be really nice.
>
> Of course there is not because no media appropriate to an ISO image could
> contain such an ISO.

Rui,
in case that's not clear enough, DVD are too Small

Raw media sizes
DVD self burnable media : 4.7 G   http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/txt/cdroms.html
Commercial bulk (film/movie) DVDs : 9 G.
Blu ray, (rare expensive) : [2 x] 25 Gig
			http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

ftp protocol does not support command du, so one can't see size of
	ftp://ftp.freebsd.orgpub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-8.2-release/All/

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below, not above;  Indent with "> ";  Cumulative like a play script.