Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2001 12:33:10 +0200
From:      Luuk van Dijk <lvd@mndmttr.nl>
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Userland PPP with MP brings second isdn link up only once

L.S.

I'm using userland ppp on FreeBSD 4.2 to connect
to an Ascend Max2000 router over an ISDN-2
line.  The ascend is configured to speak MP
(rather than MPP, though I don't know the difference),
and everything works fine ... EXCEPT that the MP
negotiation to bring up the second link works only
once:

I start ppp -auto, with no trafic, then I generate
some traffic, which results in the line being brought up

then I generate some more traffic, causing the second
line to be brought up, then I stop the heavy traffic,
but keep some traffic running, and after the autoload
measurement delay the second line is dropped.

So far so good.

If I now start the heavy traffic again, saturating
the single channel, the second channel will not be opened.

If I do this, and use pppctl to fiddle with the
autoload detection parameters , eg setting min from 30 to 29,
the second channel will be started again after the measurement delay.

Otherwise, if stop all traffic, the line dies
after the timeout, and if the line is reopened the second channel
can be used again, but again only once.

I turned on lots of logging & debugging options, but there is no hint as
to what might be going on.

The userland PPP config is

isdn:
 set phone 0123456789
 set authname my-gw
 set authkey  ReallySecret
 set enddisc psn 0987654321
 enable lqr
 set reconnect 3 5
 set redial 3 10
 set lqrperiod 45
 disable pred1 deflate
 deny pred1 deflate
 set timeout 20
 set dial
 set login
 set hangup
 set device /dev/i4brbch0 /dev/i4brbch1
 set speed sync
 set bandwidth 65536
 link * set cd 12
 set ifaddr 10.255.4.1/8 10.255.0.1/8
 add! default hisaddr
 set mrru 1500
 clone 1,2
 link deflink rm
 link * set mode auto
set autoload 30 50 10
set server /var/run/pppctl "" 0177

Apart from the fact that the Ascend is set to MP, I'm afraid I don't
have the details of its config available at the moment, nor the
logfiles.

Any clues what to look out for would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Luuk van Dijk