Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 12:35:57 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, hitmaster2k@yahoo.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OT] RMS Suing was [SUGGESTION] - JFS for FreeBSD

On Thursday, 13 December 2001 at 15:36:46 +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <4.3.2.7.2.20011213072327.043556b0@localhost>, Brett Glass writes:
>> At 01:36 AM 12/13/2001, Terry Lambert wrote:
>>
>>> Brett: don't go of half cocked.  Contamination is not an issue, since
>>> most FreeBSD won't ever let it be.  You need to read the whole thread.
>>
>> I've read the thread, and I'm concerned. Already, FreeBSD simply
>> CANNOT BE BUILT and WILL NOT RUN IN THE DEFAULT INSTALL without
>> GPLed code. This means that it is already contaminated, and it
>> is truly sad that the project leadership has not made removing
>> this contamination a primary goal.
>
> Brett,
>
> I've been working on FreeBSD since the very beginning, yet I have
> a hard time judging your claim above as either true or false.

Well, there are multiple statements:

>> Already, FreeBSD simply CANNOT BE BUILT and WILL NOT RUN IN THE
>> DEFAULT INSTALL without GPLed code.

This is obviously true.  There are a lot of GPLd tools in the build
environment, notably gcc and binutils.

>> This means that it is already contaminated,

For some definition of "contaminated", yes.  I see this statement as
the definition.

>> and it is truly sad that the project leadership has not made
>> removing this contamination a primary goal.

That's a very subjective point of view.  I definitely have better
things to do than start a religious war.

Greg