Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 1995 19:45:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        ache@astral.msk.su (=?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?=)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, kaleb@x.org
Subject:   Re: A couple problems in FreeBSD 2.1.0-950922-SNAP

> >Or to specify XPG/3 instead of XPG/4.  XPG/4 marked the introduction of
> >the heinously bogus runic encoding methods and thus wide character process
> >encoding.  If you specify XPG/3, then you will be fine.
>
> Well, I plan to go and fix all current ctype-aware FreeBSD sources
> to call setlocale() first. I can remove my hack only after
> this step will be done. So, I need to know exactly, what XPG we
> plan to support. If we don't plan to support runic encoding,
> we can reduce current bloat much more by removing runic. In early days
> I plan to see strict 8bit locale into FreeBSD but Garrett was who
> introduce runic locale. I prefer not use runic, of course.

Actually, I prefer XPG/4 if we have to use the idiotic setlocale()
mechanism at all.

The net effect will be to break the code almost everywhere for 8bit
unclean code, break code features like collation/ispunct()/etc. for
8bit clean but non-setlocale() calling code, and break things utterly
for 8bit clean code in a runic locale.

Get that annoyance factor right up there.  8-).

I believe a full XPG implementation was placed under UCB style distribution
by Sun as part of the last OpenLook/Openview ditribution (comp.sources.sun,
comp.sources.x, ftp.x.org/contrib).  I think it was just XPG/3, though.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.