Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 1995 09:10:36 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch), nate@rocky.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams), hackers@FreeBSD.org, isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: BSD networking code guru needed?

Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
> > > What *should* happen is the incomplete arp entry and route should be
> > > removed from the tables and replaced with the now valid proxy-arp entry.
> >
> > I've been noticing this yesterday, too.  Garrett solved the problem
> > for the non proxy-arp case right before 2.1 (where a clone route has
> > been allocated through the default route, pointing to the ethernet
> > interface), but this one here is still broken.

Umm, I'm not seeing that fix on my 2.1 box (which is running post 2.1
stuff including fixes that came in after the fact), and I don't remember
the fix going in.  I just perused the commitlog file and I'm not seeing
any 'arp' fix, although I'm looking at the clone route stuff.

> > Anyway, the location
> > where the clone routes are being killed might be a good spot to check
> > for the ARP stuff.

I'll look, but as you could see from my original message, I'm seeing the
same problem with the regular arp as well as proxy-arp, so it's not
fixed for the non proxy-arp case.

> I have seen the same kind of trouble with arp, ipfw and routed.
>
> Basically packets would go another way that what "netstat -rna" would
> make you think.
>
> Sometimes I could clear the trouble by zapping all arp-entries.

That's what I've done, and it seems to work.

> I stopped using routed and made static routes, and have had no
> problems since.

Unfortunately, that's not a solution given that the boxes can exist on
the local ethernet and come in via PPP (portables are great fun).

Nate