Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2001 11:10:43 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Gerard Samuel <trini0@optonline.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: A Rock and Slow Place

Gerard Samuel <trini0@optonline.net> types:
> What about an X Gui Mail Program.  The closest Ive come across is
> kiltdown, but it still lacks features like drop boxes/filtering.

This topic comes up failry often. Try looking through the -questions
archives to see what turns up. And what's "drop boxes"?

One thing to consider is that Unix applications tend to be smaller
programs that each do their job very well, instead of monolithic
programs that do everything not quite so well. For instance, most
people will recommend procmail for filtering mail, and it's capable of
things that look like magic compared to what OE could do last time I
looked at it. Procmail is run by the MTA, not the UMA, so you can get
that filtering capability with any mail reader you want to use.

Personally, I use qmail as an MTA, and the user delivery mechanisms it
provides are nearly as powerful as procmail, so I ditched procmail. I
use the vm package in xemacs, which qualifies as a GUI mail reader,
but probably won't make people who want buttons for everything happy.

> Anyone?  Bueller?
>
> > So what's the fifty dollar followup question?

Not a fan of his money, eh?

	<mike