Date:      Thu, 02 Sep 2010 14:22:21 +0100
From:      Michal <michal@sharescope.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Extending your zfs pool with multiple devices

I have a small problem that I am trying to work out a solution for.
Imagine you create a NAS box. Fill a small server with 5 hard drives,
zfs them with raidz or whatever, create your pools and then shear this
to the network using samba. Simple NAS box for your network to put their
files and they just connenct to \\nas1

This box is now full, my problem is that I could create a 2nd NAS box
and people use \\nas1 and \\nas2 but it's not very use friendly. Can I
somehow build a 2nd box which is identicle, but extend my pools into
nas2. I was thinking something like exporting the nas2 drives via iscsi
and then nas1 add's the drives to the pool...or something similar. I
find that with any NAS whether its home build or shop bought you will
eventually run out of space, and sure you can replace the HDD's with
bigger ones but you will see run out of space, and having multiple
locations, in my mind, is not very elegant. I cannot simply add more
HDD's to the box as well as it's at full capacity

Thanks