Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 1999 13:10:47 +0200
From:      d e a t h <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: row of questions to different parts of fbsd

On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 07:42:31PM +0100, Ariel Burbaickij wrote:

> 1) I cannot run netscape3.04 as user...

Does that mean that you can run it as the superuser?

> What steps are neccesary to bring netscape running from user accounts?

Use locate(1) to find where `netscape' exists on your system, and check
if the permissions allow execution by everyone.  Then make sure that
the directory where the binary is in the PATH, and if not add it to the
PATH or symlink the binary to a directory that already is.

> 2)I cannot run doom...

Dunno, never have run the thing myself either.  But, then again, I
never tried to ;)

> /dev/dsp could  not open (I got some advises that this message is maybe
>                     somehow related to absence of soundcard on my
>                     computer)

Yes, most of the time a soundcard is mandatory for /dev/dsp to be
working properly.  Doesn't doom have some option to turn off sound
support, so all the users of the world will be able to happily run it?

> Kernel Linux support is enabled.

How is this related to the questions above?  Are you running a linux
version of Netscape, or a linux version of doom, or (perhaps) neither?

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]