Date:      Tue, 5 Apr 2011 22:48:44 -0400
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        eduardo.viruena@esfm.ipn.mx
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: f77 in FreeBSD 8.2

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 9:20 PM, Eduardo Viruena Silva <
eduardo.viruena@esfm.ipn.mx> wrote:

> On Tue, April 5, 2011 7:44 pm, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 7:46 PM, Eduardo Viruena Silva <
> > eduardo.viruena@esfm.ipn.mx> wrote:
> >

> >> Hello, FreeBSD gurus,
> >>
> >> I have noticed that the Fortran Compiler f77 that used to be
> >> in freebsd sources is not longer there in version 8.2-stable,
> >> now it's in the obsolete software list.
> >>
> >> Nevertheless, it has some directories in the sources:
> >>
> >> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/f77
> >> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/f77/Makefile
> >> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/f771
> >> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/f771/Makefile
> >> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/f77doc
> >> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/f77doc/Makefile
> >>

> >> How can I install that compiler?
> >>
> >> The one in the ports does not work as fine as the the one in
> >> the sources.
> >>

> >> Thanks in advace,
> >>
> >>     Eduardo.
> >>
> >> PS. Please answer to my e-mail address, I'm not subscribed to
> >> the list.
> >>

> > My answer is NOT related directly to your question , please forgive me .
> >

> > I am using G95 ( from www.g95.org which is in the packages of FreeBSD )
> in
> > Windows and Linux , and I like it very much because it generates very
> good
> > code , especially if the stack traces are enabled in command line , on
> run
> > time errors it is giving nearly exact source line of the error point with
> > list of called subroutines chain  . Since the G95 is generated from the
> > same
> > sources for the FreeBSD , I think there is no difference between platform
> > related compilers .
> >
> > Another point is ( if your source files have .FOR extension , it is using
> > Fortran 77 , if it is .F90 , it is using the Fortran 95 ( be careful
> about
> > cases of letters ) . For such points , please read its manual . If any
> > Fortran 77 source file has .F90 extension , it will produce a lot of
> > errors
> > because Fortran 77 is fixed line format based , Fortran 90 or 95 is free
> > line format based .
> >
> > Thank you very much .
> >

> > Mehmet Erol Sanliturk
> >

> Thanks Mehmet.
>
> I'd better start promoting the use of g95.
>
> Some people in the list say that f77 users must move on in their lives
> and leave f77 behind.
>

> ====
>
> Something curious is happening, g95 does not seem to find its library
> libg95.
>
> I have to write explicitly:
>
>    g95 foo.for -o foo  -L/usr/local/lib
>
> to compile the program foo.
>
> /etc/rc.d/ldconfig restart does not fix the problem.
> Any ideas?
>

> Thanks for answering,
>
>         Eduardo.

The command line is important for g95 . Therefore , please write a complete
command line for compilation . Since these are multi-platform software AND
different platforms are NOT equivalent in their directory structure , I
think , these facts are not very important points .

My approach is to use a batch file in Windows and a shell script in Linux to
compile programs  :

For example : g95-cte.sh ( cte : compile to executable , there is another
cts : compile to syntax  )

g95 -ftrace=full -o $1 $1.FOR

( -ftrace=full means , generate code to produce call chain trace on run-time
error . )
To compile  a program , use it as follows ( use your extension as it is :
.for or .FOR , FreeBSD is case-sensitive ) :

g95-cte.sh hello

Move g95-cte.sh after making it executable into a directory which it is in
the $PATH , then it will be possible to use g95-cte.sh from any directory .

For specially required directories , add their names into its command line
with suitable prefixes .

In the following page ,
http://www.g95.org/downloads.shtml

there are binaries for FreeBSD . Since they are specific to platforms , they
MAY NOT require specification of libraries , but , again , these are NOT
important , specify them in shell script command line only one time ,
then use it continuously .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk