Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:54:38 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Matt Tagg <wamatt@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: find with -delete option on absolute paths

Matt Tagg wrote:
> Hey BSD folks
>
> I believe this was discussed previously (2013), though I could not
> find a resolution.
>
> To recap, suppose we try deleting files on an absolute path:
>
> matt@mtbook:/% find /tmp/foo/* -delete
> find: -delete: /tmp/foo/bar.txt: relative path potentially not safe
>
> As you can see it gives an error and quits. However if we instead try this:
>
> matt@mtbook:/% gfind /tmp/foo/* -delete
>
> GNU Find throws no error and works as expected ('bar.txt is deleted')
>
> So as an end user, I find this rather confusing. How can I get the
> same behavior with BSD Find out of the box?

Off on a tangent:
Last millenia (1987 :-) when I was using find & needed an rm to reduce
near duplicate trees on DOS & Unix, I wrote my own C
	http://berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/jhs/bin/public/cmpd/
I've never since worried about getting syntax of test conditions
wrong & deleting good stuff by mistake.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Linux Unix C Sys Eng Consultant Munich http://berklix.com
	Indent previous with "> ".	Reply Below as a play script.