Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2007 09:46:52 -0300
From:      Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez <rnsanchez@wait4.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proof of concept: soundcard as console device

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 09:42:51 +0000
Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> What's left to do:
>=20
> 	* optimize transmission schema.
>=20
> 		This can be done with two computers, a jack-jack cable
> 		and a bit of C-coding.
>=20
> 		The difference in sample rate between the two machines
> 		causes off-by-one errors.  I don't know of a peak
> detector which interpolates can resolve this, of if we need use
> 		oversampling in the receiver.
>=20
> 		The two pulses can have two different polarities each,
> 		so we can transmit two bits just that way, this could
> speed up transmission by a factor of four, if we can find a way
> 		to synchronize properly.
>=20
> 		The two stereo channels can be used independently,
> offering a doubling in speed.

Sounds like a synchronization pattern could be used here, like the one
used for E1 channels (resync at every 512 bits), or any other scheme for
plesiochronous channels.  Or taking one channel to signal when data is
ready.

This is simply =FCber-cool.  :)

--=20
Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez                   rnsanchez@wait4.org