Date:      Sun, 26 Jun 2005 20:27:14 -0500
From:      Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_N=F8rgaard?= <norgaard@locolomo.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: upgrading all ports

On 6/25/05, Erik N=F8rgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org> wrote:
>=20
> portupgrade isn't suitable for upgrading the entire machine, even though
> you do recursive and Recursive.
>=20
> It is much faster to deinstall everything and then installing from
> ground up. And it is far more secure in not screwing up.
>=20
> I recommend writing down a list of apps you need to be happy, deinstall
> everything and then install those apps. Dependencies comes along fine,
> and then whatever remains can be installed as needed.
>=20
> Anyway, the worst that can happen is that you will screw up some user
> app's - ok this is bad - but your system won't require a reinstall :-)
>=20
> Cheers, Erik

With Gnome, KDE, etc. I completely agree with you, portupgrade always
manages fudge something up.

What are some easy ways to do this... lets say for example I updated
to gnome 2.12 what would be an easy (automated) way to remove all of
Gnome 2.10 and all of my GTK apps without removing KDE and my QT apps?