Date:      Thu, 02 Mar 1995 13:59:39 EST
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        Don Yuniskis <dgy@seagull.rtd.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: xview port

>Sorry, I guess I wasn't explicit enough... there are *existing* switches
>in the configuration files (e.g., "OsHasLocale" in XView.cf) to turn
>on locale support in the code.  I was wondering why these switches were
>left "Off" in the xview port to FreeBSD (1.1.5.1).

Don't know.

>The commentary seems
>to indicate "setlocale()" is all (?) that's needed...

setlocale works okay as long as you're in the C locale. Some things
in libc like isprint family of functions don't work as expected in the
lt_LN locale. setlocale works well enough for the rest of R6, with some
minor problems that I haven't had a chance to track down yet.

>> >Or, is setlocale() (et al.)
>> >broken?  I'm using 1.1.5
>>
>> Locale support is pretty weak in 1.1.5.1. I don't have any reason to
>> believe it's any better in 2.x. I started to dabble with it some, and
>> put together an ISO8859-1 locale file, which I think got renamed to
>> lt_LN.ISO8859-1. You can get it from the FreeBSD-current sources in
>> src/usr.bin/mklocale/data. Or maybe someone else did that one, I don't
>> know. In any event libc makes some use of the locale data, but has a
>> long way to go. If I can nurse my system back to health, get more disk,
>> and upgrade to 2.x, then I'll work on it some more.

>I was curious if I should throw the switches and "backfill" the extra
>locales later (xview is a pig to build)

I'd say throw the switch and hope for the best. :-) FYI, the i18n/l10n
support has changed some between R5 and R6; in theory this should be
completely transparent to higher layers like xview, but if xview depends
on the R5 Xsi mechanism then you may run into some difficulties. If there's
a config option to use Ximp then that's what you should use because R6
is based on that.

--

Kaleb