Date:      Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:51:55 +0800
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@kuzbass.ru>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: named.conf: query-source address

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 06:34:38PM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> The 'query-source' options don't have to be specified: the system
> will just choose some appropriate address according to the state of
> the routing table.  'query-source' to set the source /IP/ is really
> only useful in some specific server configurations with several alias
> addresses any of which could be used.  That's pretty rare really.

Isn't this common to have multiple aliases at an interface?
Sometimes only one of them should be used for all DNS traffic.

> query-source is only ever used by recursive or stub resolvers --
> instances of named that will go out and make queries on the net on your
> behalf.  Authoritative servers really don't need it.

Sometimes one needs to bind named to distinct IP address
for all data it sends to the net on its own, not as answers to queries only.
There is nothing wrong in using 'query-source' without 'port' option, I mean.

Eugene Grosbein