Date:      Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:06:23 +0000
From:      Crispy Beef <crispy.beef@ntlworld.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Compilation...

Adam Nealis wrote:

*snip*

>>Here's what I did:
>>
>>1.    Install from CD (6.0-RELEASE)
>>2.    Got latest kernel src with sysinstall
>

> Hmm. cvsup might be better. Having said that, when I cvsup'd 6.0-RELEASE
> after installing from CD, there were only one or two files updated. But
> my version went from 6.0-RELEASE to 6.0-RELEASE-p1.
>
> The other thing is you don't appear to have run buildworld. This step
> uses the 6.0-RELEASE source in /usr/src to build userland and gcc and
> so on. I'm not sure, but I think you have to use the compilation tools
> from buildworld to create your new kernel.

I wasn't aware that I needed to do a buildworld too, am limited on the amount
of disk space I have, the whole disk is 6Gb with a 1Gb /home and over 3Gb
/usr.  Is that going to be enough?  /tmp and /var are quite small.

Will go through the Makefile and see what happens this time round.

>>3.    cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
>>4.    Created my own config file (LAPTOP)
>>5.    Did a /usr/sbin/config LAPTOP
>>6.    Moved into compile directory (/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/LAPTOP)
>>7.    Did 'make depend'
>

> Did you do
>
> make cleandepend; make depend ?

Yes, did that too.

>>8.    make
>>
>>At this point it failed...
>

> I'd be inclined to start from the beginning, going through the steps
> given in usr/src/Makefile

Will do, cheers.

Paul