Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 04:56:46 GMT
From:      mouth@ibm.net (John Kelly)
To:        "keith Spencer" <bsd@smmcroute.smmc.qld.edu.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: adding serial ports..tricky?

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997 13:04:05 +0000, "keith Spencer"
<bsd@smmcroute.smmc.qld.edu.au> wrote:

>I wish to add a couple of extra serial ports...my tech man says
>simply put a another super I/O board in and disable the drive bits.

What a waste.  Buy an multiport shared interrupt serial card instead.
http://www.byterunner.com sells an 8-port version for about $150 and a
4-port version for about $75.  They work with FreeBSD and the stock
SIO driver.

>But he is unsure that it is that simple in FBsd UNIX.

The SIO man page explains how to set up a multiport shared interrupt
card like the ones byterunner sells.  It's a hard read at first, but I
can send you a sample kernel config if you can't go it alone with the
man page.

John