Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2013 20:04:35 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely7.cicely.de>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SD card -image- for the beaglebone

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 02:44:16PM -0700, Ian Lepore wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-01-31 at 21:27 +0000, Iain Young wrote:
> > On 31/01/13 15:36, Ian Lepore wrote:
> >
> > > So you're interested in a PPS driver for BeagleBone?  That would be fun
> > > to play with, I wonder what the BB's timer hardware looks like?  It'd be
> > > easy enough to do with a gpio interrupt I suspect, but the timing geek
> > > in me can't resist going for the nanosecond-accurate measurements when
> > > possible, even if it is kind of pointless for millisecond-accurate NTP.
> >
> > Yep. Planning on hooking up MSF, DCF, and TDF clocks to GPIO pins, as
> > well as some GPS units. Originally planned for doing this with some
> > Pi, but found the bone had serial ports and things developed from there
> >
> > Planning on abusing UART3's CTS pin for initial basic testing, as
> > radioclkd and radioclkd2 have only support for serial ports, but
> > then it will be working out what if anything I need to patch into the
> > kernel to get the PPS subsystem to listen to particular GPIO pins.
> >
> > Also planning to test PHK's ntpns, which has DCF support,
> > and should be easy to modify for MSF. Anyway, this is heading far
> > too quickly to being on-topic for time-nuts but off-topic here
>
> You might be surprised how many time nuts read this list, several of us
> do it for a living.

Absolutely - there is a reason why I have a rubidium here.
Thought of using it with a zedboard - it's FPGA and gbit/s ethernet sounds
as a good combination.
The most important thing however is a red LED based 7-Segment microsecond
display (without multiplexing) - not that anyone can read.
I even thought of doing ntp protocol in FPGA logic.
Unfortunately the GPS receiver I bought has no PPS output :-(
Getting an accurate time is more difficult then keeping it.
And leap seconds won't make it easier.

What are MSF and TDF?
I'm aware of GPS, DCF77 and LORAN-C to be available in Germany.

--
B.Walter <bernd@bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de