Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 1999 11:06:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Market share and platform support

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Brett Glass wrote:
> It's likely that I need permission to use the trademark. Unless this
> is already given via a blanket public announcement that says, "You may
> use this trademark if..." I've seen no such announcement so far, but
> if it does not exist it should.

I hope to god you need permission to use the 'FreeBSD' trademark, and if
Walnut Creek is the ones to fund and forward the legal bitch-slapping
should you use it without permission I only hope that the effort doesn't
hurt them financially and that you have to pawn your computer to cover the
damages.

I don't think anyone is telling you that you can't take the source and run
with it.  Taking the source and trying to market it as 'Ultra Mega FreeBSD
2000' would only serve to confuse public perception of the 'FreeBSD'
brand, and would be, IMHO, a step back for the actual FreeBSD project.

Calling yourself 'Ultra Mega BSD2000' or something and having a note that
said "Based on the FreeBSD Operating System." would likely satisfy all
parties.

Why the hell would you want to leach on the poor PR that 'FreeBSD' has in
the first place?  By your noise it would be better for you to rely on your
own superior marketing and PR strategies and focus them on a distinctive
brand name.  BrettBSD maybe?

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |