Date:      Thu, 28 Jul 2016 10:05:29 +0200
From:      Ed Schouten <ed@nuxi.nl>
To:        "Conrad E. Meyer" <cem@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Shawn Webb <shawn.webb@hardenedbsd.org>,  freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SafeStack in base

Hi Conrad,

> The problem appears to be an upstream limitation of
> -fsanitize=3Dsafe-stack: "Most programs, static libraries, or individual
> files can be compiled with SafeStack as is. =E2=80=A6 Linking a DSO with
> SafeStack is not currently supported." [0]

I'm not sure, but I thought the reason for this is due to the fact
that SafeStack uses some kind of additional library to wrap around
pthread_create() to create threads that have SafeStack properly set
up.

If we were to actually integrate this functionality into our C
runtime/pthread library to create threads with two stacks by default,
then I couldn't think of a reason why it shouldn't work with DSOs.
SafeStack merely depends on an additional TLS variable -- nothing
else.

--=20
Ed Schouten <ed@nuxi.nl>
Nuxi, 's-Hertogenbosch, the Netherlands