Date:      Sun, 28 Dec 2014 11:28:32 -0500
From:      George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Python 3 doc?

On 12/27/14 22:36, Shane Ambler wrote:
> On 28/12/2014 11:15, George Mitchell wrote:
>> I have both python 2.7.8 and python 3.3.5 installed on my machine.  When
>> I build lang/python-doc-html, I end up with python-doc-html-2.7.8.  Is
>> it possible to also get python-doc-html-3.3.5 generated and installed
>> somehow?                                                       -- George
>
> There are two settings that determine the version of python being used -
>
> DEFAULT_VERSIONS can be set in /etc/make.conf and will effect the
> python version used for every port you build. This can also be used to
> define other default versions, see /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.default-versions.mk
>
> DEFAULT_VERSIONS= python=3.3
>
> You can also set PYTHON_VERSION in your environment before building to
> only effect the one port.
>
> For csh/tcsh
> setenv PYTHON_VERSION python3.3
>
> for sh/bash
> PYTHON_VERSION=python3.3;export PYTHON_VERSION

That works -- as long as I am willing to deinstall the python 2.7.8
documentation first.  I suppose I could create a package for the 2.7.8
documentation, "upgrade," and then circumvent the ports system to
reinstall the old files by hand, but I was hoping not to have to do
that.                                                    -- George