Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:30:56 +1000
From:      "Tim Cleaver" <timcleaver@hotmail.com>
To:        java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: eclipse2.1.1_2

To whom it may concern,

I have just recently attempted to install eclipse and am wondering why it
requires so many out of date packages? jfc1.1.1 and jdk1.2 are no longer
supported and actively maintained by Sun. I wish to develop using jdk1.4.2
and it appears that this requires the linux abstraction layer in order to do
so? Can the eclipse build utilise linux-sun-jdk1.42 and not require the
older java technologies? If possible, how would I go about altering the
appropriate make files in order to do this? Furthermore what are the the
drawbacks in using the linux emulation layer with regards to java? If there
is a better IDE available in teh ports collection I would greatly appreciate
any advice you have in that regard also.

I am new to the FreeBSD and ports community and thank you for taking the
time to read and reply to my email.

thanks,
Tim

E-mail just got a whole lot better. New ninemsn Premium. Click here