Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 12:17:27 -0700
From:      hal Lynch <hal@sticky.usu.edu>
To:        FreeBSDQuestions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:    Re: when is it safe to use the 0xa0ffa0ff disk flags?

>It isn't a function of the disk as much as an interaction between the
>disk and the rest of the hardware. It is something you can test before
>you fix it in the kernel. These parameters can be configured during
>boot. Changing them at boot time lets you test the configuration and
>then make it permanent by adding the flags in your kernel. I went from
>2-3MB/s to 12-14MB/s. This isn't a trivial improvement :).

I made the changes to my kernel and indeed I saw an improvement, but
not nearly as much as you (2.4MB/s to 2.7MB/s)?!  I then received a
minor revalation that that I should look at the bios. After setting
Ultra DMA and PIO/DMA modes to AUTO and Block Mode sectors to  HDD MAX
I finally got what I paid for 15MB/s.  There's a lesson in there somewhere!

hal