Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 1997 16:48:59 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Bernd Rosauer <br@schiele-ct.de>
Cc:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: proc size mismatch?

On Tue, Oct 14, 1997 at 08:34:56AM +0200, Bernd Rosauer wrote:
> Christoph Kukulies:
>
>>> I upgraded my FreeBSD box from 3.0-970807-SNAP to 3.0-971003-SNAP.
>>> Now, invoking `ps` I get
>>>
>>>     ps: proc size mismatch (14996 total, 665 chunks)
>>
>> This typically happens when binaries depending on proc.h and related
>> structures don't match the kernel any longer .
>>
>>> which doesn't mean anything to me.  What went wrong? What can I do?
>>
>> Rebuild your kernel.
>
> This was the first thing I did after upgrading my system.  But
> the error still orccurs.

OK, try this (from CFBSD) and tell me if you still have problems:

   One  of  the more common problems that people see after building a new -CURRENT
   kernel looks like this:

   $ ps
   ps: proc size mismatch (15800 total, 656 chunks)

   This is a sure indication that your ps program or the  kvm  library  no  longer
   match your kernel.  To solve this problem, do the following:

   # cd /usr/src/lib/libkvm
   # make all install clean
   # cd /usr/src/bin/ps
   # make all install clean

   The  reason for the target clean is that such a build will place the objects in
   the source directory, and not in the object directory.  If you don't make clean
   now, a subsequent build will not replace them.

Greg