Date:      Fri, 08 Oct 2010 18:12:13 +0200
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISDN4BSD removal (was: FreeBSD 6.4 and 8.0 EoLs coming soon)

This is straying a bit, but I think it is important:
the only good measure of when a technology is too old, is when people
(who use FreeBSD in this case) stop using it.

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 11:12:32 +0200
Oliver Brandmueller <ob@e-Gitt.NET> wrote:

> Maybe you don't really want to hear this, but...
>
> ISDN is a dying technology. Any time soon you won't get ISDN termination
> by your telecom provider anymore. If at all, theyll deliver S0 in your
> home while doing VoIP from that little box on your wall.

I don't know how it works in other countries, but here (in Norway) it
works like this: yes - ISDN technology is dying.
However, like all other technologies that major telcos have invested a
lot in, its death is very slow. Extremely slow in fact.

It could very well be that ISDN will live five or ten years still here,
simply because it doesn't cost too much to maintain, and there is no
new technology to push the dying ISDN over the edge off the cliff.
Why is this? Well, telcos here are investing in mobile
technologies for phones. They are _not_ interested in (and do not
invest significant money in) things like VoIP. In fact, major telcos
here doesn't invest significant money in fibre cables. They only put as
much money into it as they need to keep the competition at bay.

So who is investing in VoIP and fibre cables here? Answer: the ISP's
that doesn't have any large investments in traditional telco cables.

Another thing about VoIP calls: have they solved the "emergency call
needs a location" problem? Here (again: in Norway) they are still
working out how to solve this: if you call emergency services (police,
fire department, etc.) from yout VoIP number; how do the emergency
center locate you? I mean; how do they know that you are at home,
and not at say, a cabin half across the country? With old landlines,
there is no problem; it is always installed at an address.

Just my point of view.
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen