Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 20:19:25 -0700
From:      bmah@freebsd.org (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Garance A Drosehn <drosehn@rpi.edu>, jmallet@freebsd.org
Cc:        Bruce A Mah <bmah@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/44070: Minor corrections to release notes for 4.7

--==_Exmh_-593172532P

If memory serves me right, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
> Bruce Mah wrote:
> > If memory serves me right, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
> > >       The release notes at:
> > >           http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/4.7R/relnotes-i386.html
> > >       and http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/4.7R/relnotes-alpha.html
> > >       imply that 'xargs -J' is depreciated.  This is not true.  It
> > >       does not do the same thing as -I, and therefore it is still
> > >       very useful.  It is a freebsd-only option (at least for now),
> > >       but it is not depreciated.
> >
> > See for example the commit message for revision 1.16 of src/usr.sbin/
> > xargs/xargs.1.  I interpeted that to mean "xargs -J is deprecated".
>
> Yeah, I remember the commit message going by, and at the time I sent a
> message off to jmallet pointing out that -J should *not* be
> depreciated.  Also note that the man page was never changed to say -J
> was depreciated, Juli only made that comment as part of the commit
> entry.  I probably sent that as a private message exchange at the time.
>
> I didn't occur to me that someone else would pick up on that comment and
> assume that -J was officially on track to be depreciated.  The -J option
> is a very useful option which I've always wished for when I am on other
> platforms, and I was pretty excited when it was added to freebsd.  I
> want to see the other OS's adopt it, instead of us getting rid of it!

I don't use either of these options (my loss, I suppose!).

> > >     Also, the release notes do not mention some improvements
> > >     to the 'lpc' command.
> >
> > At the time, it wasn't clear to me how significant these changes were.
> > I'm happy to be corrected, but this is why I like to get heads-up
> > messages (or text or direct commits) from developers regarding changes
> > they consider to be important.
>
> To be honest, I suspect that few people will find those options as
> attractive as I do.  I would not have even mentioned them except that I
> definitely wanted to say something about xargs, so I also added lpc as
> long as I was writing a PR.
>
> > If you want, I can figure out something to add to -CURRENT's release
> > notes.  Is this important enough to also warrant an entry in the 4.7
> > errata?
>
> It would be nice enough to add a short blurb to -current wrt the new lpc
> options.  They certainly are not important enough to deserve a special
> errata entry for 4.7.

I'll try to cobble something together for -CURRENT (probably copying
stuff from your commit message, since that's the way I usually do it).

> I do think it would be good to have an errata item on xargs, lest people
> think they have to start avoiding -J.  Probably should check with
> jmallet just to make sure we're all still on the same wavelength on that.

OK, let's ask her, then.  Juli, any comment on "xargs -J"?

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-593172532P

--==_Exmh_-593172532P--