Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 11:54:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Q's about bridging, routing, etc.

I'm considering getting a cable modem at home, and am investigating how to
work around the local cable companies technical shortcomings.

I've got a FreeBSD 3.3 box (soon to be 4.0, since it's SMP and I want wine
to work) that I'm planning on setting up as a dual-homed (filtering)
firewall, with a static IP address from the cable company.  My network
printer I plan on giving an RFC-reserved address.  The two Win9X boxes I
plan on assigning IP addresses with the cable companies DHCP servers.

IPFW and bridging seem to handle all the problems, except for one; the
cable company uses a different network range and netmask for their dynamic
and static addresses, and in fact has multiple networks that they use for
DHCP, so you can have two computers in the same household that are on
different subnets.  Oh, and did I fail to mention that they don't seem to
be able to handle machines on the same segment but different networks
talking to each other?

The firewall is also a SAMBA server, so the machines do talk to each
other.

So, my question is, when bridging between two interfaces, and an IP
address comes in on one side that you want to go back out that same side,
but to an address that doesn't match that interface/netmask, what can be
done to make this work?

The easiest solution would be to make the firewall a proxy rather than
just packet filtering, but I hate to have to mess with the firewall every
time a new instant messaging program or online game comes out.  Paying for
two extra static IP addresses is probably not feasible, at $10 a month
each.

I thought of having the machine use DHCP to configure itself, and have an
alias for the static IP address. As long as all three IP addresses come
from the same pool, this should work.  Maybe I'll need to see if the
multiple netmasks is a common problem, or if that was just something
transitory while they were renumbering.

so, I guess my question is, has anyone already wrestled this problem into
submission?