Date:      Wed, 07 May 1997 10:02:26 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        "James F. Schmidt" <jschmidt@cessys.com>
Cc:        "support@freebsd.com" <support@freebsd.com>
Subject:   Re: Compiling the Kernel

James F. Schmidt wrote:

> I wanted to setup Quotas which requires re-compiling the kernel.  I was successful
> in doing this, but is it really necessary to re-determine all of the device settings if
> you already have a working kernel?
>
> When I installed FreeBSD, the setup program did a great job..can't I somehow
> Migrate these settings and then compile???

Well, if it did a great job then there's almost nothing to do. If you've
never edited your kernel config file, simply start out with the GENERIC
kernel, and comment out things you don't need. It will save you both
memory and boot time (probing for devices you don't have, especially IDE
disks can be a very length process). The installation program itself
does almost *nothing* to the kernel. If it works for you, then you're
mostly using the defaults.

> Frustrated!!!!
>
> Jim
> James F. Schmidt                CES Systems, Inc.
> jschmidt@cessys.com              www.cessys.com
> Innovative Electronic & Internet Solutions
Nadav