Date:      05 Sep 2002 00:54:56 -0500
From:      James McNaughton <jtm63@enteract.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sendmail refusing periodic script output

The Problem:

Since upgrading my firewall to match my workstation at 4.6-STABLE,
sendmail on the workstation won't accept mail from the firewall which
is generated by the periodic scripts.

root is aliased to a regular user on the firewall.

The regular user on the firewall is aliased to the same regular user
on the workstation.

Sendmail on the workstation won't accept the periodic script output
because sendmail on the firewall changes the sender address to
root@localhost.local.dom and that is not a resolvable domain.

    (reason: 553 5.5.4 <root@localhost.local.dom>... Real domain
    name required for sender address)

I got email to pass from the firewall to the workstation only by
having the firewall masquerade as itself (look, I'm pretending to be
me ;) ), but root is an exposed user by default. Therefore, no
masquerading.

The Solution:

So far -- none. I've posted on comp.mail.sendmail without luck.

What I know:

Since sendmail transmission has been split up into MSP and MTA for
security, the MSP submits the message to the MTA with the sender
identified as user@name.local.dom. The MTA then changes the sender
address to user@localhost.local.dom. Why? I don't know. To me it seems
backasswards to have all email issuing from every host running
sendmail be identified as coming from localhost.some.net. `localhost'
is the computer equivalent of the first personal pronoun. It's like
every person being identified as `me'. At any rate, I think the name
substitution is done in proto.m4. But its all Greek to me so I can't
be sure. I haven't figured a way to stop it yet.

Does anyone know?

TIA,

Jim