Date:      Mon, 7 Nov 2005 16:46:34 +0100
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Request for comments: port-tags

Hi folks,

I would like to point http://bsd2.be/port-tags/ to you, and hopefully
get you to check it out and make your comments and suggestions.

Below is the contents of http://bsd2.be/about-port-tags.html:

Port-tags is like del.icio.us [http://del.icio.us/] for FreeBSD ports
collection.

The idea is to make ports classification easier and more convenient.
Instead of using predefined and limited set of port categories,
port-tags uses short one-word descriptions called tags. A port can have
an arbitrary number of tags associated with it. One can use the web
interface (and maybe a command-line interface in the future) to view
only the ports that have particular tags associated with them. This
process is very efficient in narrowing down the number of sought ports.

Debian has something similar called Debtags
[http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/]. The main difference of Debtags and
port-tags is not the absense or presense of particular frontends.
Rather, Debtags takes potentially more fruitful approach of getting the
community to define the tags, while for now, port-tags uses an
algorithmic approach to deduce the tags from the existing categories and
from ports' COMMENT field. Let's see how this works out and extend it to
a community-based project at a later stage.

The idea of port-tags came up in a conversation I had with Autrijus Tang
a couple of weeks ago. Since then, I discussed it with various people
(most notably with Lars Thegler, Erwin Lansing, and Florent Thoumie) and
finally implemented it.

In its current form, the service is not updated live. Instead, as it
depends on the INDEX file, and the index file gets updated once a day,
so does the port-tags database.

If it looks too similar to del.icio.us, it is because for this early
alpha version I just stole the stylesheets from there.

If you have any comments and suggestions with regard to port-tags, I
would like to hear about it. Is it useful? How can we make it more
useful? What are the shortcomings? Any show-stoppers which prevent you
from using it?

Thank you for your attention,
\Anton.
--
An undefined problem has an infinite number of solutions.
-- Robert A. Humphrey