Date:      Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:26:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Matt Staroscik" <matt@wrongcrowd.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Optimizations for Processors (Now AthlonXP Q)

> There's been a number of discussions about this over the past few months.
> Take a quick peak through the archives.

A while back I did a big Google session to try and find the best kernel
and make flags for the AthlonXP proc (under FreeBSD 4.x). At the time,
most of what I read said that the AthlonXP did best with (make.conf)
CPUTYPE=i686, and the k7 flag just fell back to something like that anyway
because there wasn't complete support for it yet in the compiler. Likewise
my kernel is set to:

cpu             I686_CPU

Is this advice still valid, if it ever was? Can anyone comment on the best
make & kernel options for the AthlonXP CPU?

--
matt@wrongcrowd.com