Date:      Tue, 22 Nov 2011 23:40:58 -0600
From:      "Galati, Michael" <mcg+fbsd@sulfegate.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        William Bulley <web@umich.edu>
Subject:   Re: freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 390, Issue 3

> Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 13:56:23 -0500
> From: William Bulley <web@umich.edu>
> Subject: Re: where to ask about problems with bsdinstall in 9.0RC2?
> To: Frank Shute <frank@shute.org.uk>
> Cc: FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
>
> According to Frank Shute <frank@shute.org.uk> on Tue, 11/22/11 at 13:36:
> >
> > Can't help you with your bsdinstall woes but to upgrade from
> > 8.2-STABLE to 9.0-RELEASE(currently RC2) branch you want to do a
> > csup(1)/buildworld cycle.
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.htm=
> >
> > You should use the tag:
> >
> > *default release=3Dcvs tag=3DRELENG_9_0
> >
> > in your supfile. More details at:
> >
> > http://www.shute.org.uk/misc/freebsd_uptodate.html
>
> Thanks. =A0:)
>
> Perhaps you came into this thread late, but that was my first attempt.
> But at that time, a few weeks ago, we were still at 9.0RC1 and my then
> buildworld/installworld attempt failed during the kernel compile step.
>
> Now that 9.0RC2 is available, I reckon it is worth a try dealing with
> the csup/buildworld/installworld process. =A0I hope this works this time.

If you still have trouble compiling, you could always do a fresh
install off one of the 9.0-RC2 images on a spare machine (or on
virtual machine; VirtualBox works well for this), and build the
sources there.  Once the make build{world,kernel} steps complete, copy
(or export over NFS) /usr/{src,obj} to the machine to be upgraded, and
do the usual make install{kernel,world} (and mergemaster) steps.

I just did this just yesterday to bring a test box up from stable/8 to
stable/9; worked like a charm.  YMMV.

Apparently freebsd-update(8) works for binary updates as well, but
I've never used it (check the release announcement on freebsd-current
or freebsd-stable from the 17th).

Good luck! ^_^'

- Mike