Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:42:13 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using dd to clone HD

Yep, I suspect then that the cache is the culprit... couldn't imagine what
good 'dd' is if it takes so long.... thanks for the tip.

At 07:08 AM 2.11.2002 -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>> Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 07:56:53 -0600
>> From: jacks@sage-american.com
>> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>>
>> Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and tried the 'dd' approach using two
>> identical 10GB HDs on an experimental box where I wasn't concerned about
>> the result just to see what would happen. After more than two hours of
>> copying, I decided to abort the process because 10GB is a pretty small HD
>> and it would be a very long process to use on the bigger HDs.
>>
>> Of course the abort trashed the 2nd HD but fixed it with FDISK. Back to the
>> drawing board, perhaps with some of your other suggestions. I already use
>> tar....
>
>I use dd to mirror 2 slices of my hard drive totaling 6 GB. It takes
><14 minutes on my UDMA33 laptop disks. 10GB should not take over 4x as
>long!
>
>Do you have write-cache on? This is HUGE for dd. Turn it off and my 14
>minute copy turns into a >1 hour copy. The performance decreases by
>about a factor of 5. Of course, this is very dependent on the exact
>hardware (controllers, drives) you use.
>
>Big block sizes help a lot. I run 32K. 64K would probably be better,
>if your geometry will allow it.
>
>You might also look at the team(1) port. It might allow you to emulate
>the disk cache in RAM and restore performance without turning on the
>disk write cache. I have seen reports from others that it is quite
>effective with dd.
>
>Since dd copies every block, used or not, it may work better to use
>dump/restore for things that are not heavily utilized. But it is far
>less efficient, so if anywhere near all of the disk in use, dd will
>run much faster.
>
>R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
>Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
>Ernest O. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab)
>E-mail: oberman@es.net			Phone: +1 510 486-8634

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Server Admin

Sage-American
http://www.sage-american.com
jacks@sage-american.com

"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat;
....situation excellent! ....I shall attack!"