Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 1997 17:29:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Scott Gasch <scott@perl.guru.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Q: problem with keyboard reset in kernel boot...

I've had the following problem whenever I have tried to install
FreeBSD on a particular (old, strange) machine...  The machine is an
old Compaq luggable with a Hauppage 386-16 chip/motherboard.  The
problem is that the keyboard is hardwired onto the motherboard and
uses a strange voltage and number of pins...

When the FBSD bootdisk boots, there is a problem resetting the
keyboard which leaves the keyboard locked up (controller hung?).
In the user config section of the install the keyboard works fine
and it is not until the actual kernel boot that the thing locks up.
The actual message is: "scprobe: keyboard won't accept RESET command"

I've looked in /usr/src/.../i386/isa/syscons.c at the code around this
message... according to the comment above this section of code the
keyboard controller is supposed to get popped back into line in the
case of a reset error by the insuing function calls.

I have a few questions: 1) has anyone worked aroudn this before?  2)
what is the purpose of the keyboard reset; could I comment out the
whole darn thing and put a custom kernel on the bootfloppy?  3) does
anyone have any other solutions (besides hard drive swaping)?

--
Scott Gasch                  scott@perl.guru.org        "anything that can go
Virginia Tech           finger above for pgp pub key     wrSegmentation fault