Date:      Mon, 02 Jul 2012 19:38:55 -0700
From:      matt <sendtomatt@gmail.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gustau_P=E9rez_i_Querol?= <gperez@entel.upc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to resume amd64 machine

On 06/26/12 04:18, Gustau Pérez i Querol wrote:

>   Hi,
>
>   it seems there was some problem when I posted this one. Sorry if it
> shows two times in the mailing list.
>
>   I've trying to suspend/resume an amd64 machine. The machine is a
> fujitsu S710 laptop running:
>
>          FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT #4 r237339=e61ad3a-dirty: Sat Jun 23
> 17:12:58 CEST 2012
>
>   I did the tests in the following conditions:
>
>   - No X loaded. Everything in console. The machine has an Intel video
> card, but the i915kms wasn't there.
>   - When removing modules, I tried in single user mode.
>
>   The behavior is basically the machine seems to suspend fine (I see
> the power led blinking) but when resuming it freezes hard. I see the
> disk spinning for a while and then it stops. I can't ssh to it, I
> can't use the keyboard at all so I can issue no command at all.
>
>   I've tried stripping down the kernel (everything is out except
> if_ath, em and usb stack). No pccard, no sdhci, no sound, no cuse4bsd,
> no usb hid devices (I'm using uhidd for hid devices), no acpi_video or
> acpi_fujitsu there but the same result.
>
>   I tried enabling debug.acpi.resume_beep=1. When doing this, the
> laptop beeped like crazy.
>
>   With sysctl debug.acpi.suspend_bounce=1, the suspend put the screen
> blank, however the machine stayed alive.
>
>   With acpi.reset_video I got no result.
>
>   I tried using the serial console on the laptop. I saw the suspend
> process taking down some usb devices. Resume showed nothing on the
> serial console.
>
>   Disabling devices in the BIOS (removing wifi, bluetooth, webcam, etc
> ...) didn't bring me further.
>
>   Thanks

This could be similar to thinkpads, see my response to Honest Qiao's X201...
Here's the short version:

In single user, set hw.pci.do_power_resume=0 and hw.pci.do_power_suspend=0

Try suspend bounce (and if successful suspend) with suspend beep sysctl on.

If that fails (either bounce or full suspend) try just
hw.pci.do_power_resume=1

repeat test (bounce then full suspend)

If that fails (either bounc or full suspend) try just
hw.pci.do_power_suspend=1

repeat test (bounce then full suspend)

I recommend testing laptop with SSH or some other screenless way of
seeing if it resumed, as onboard graphics can be tricky these days.

Matt

Matt