Date:      Mon, 2 Aug 1999 16:59:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Craig W. Shaver" <craig@ProGroup.COM>
To:        cygone@zoomnet.net (Mitch Vincent), freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Loadbalance webservers

>Isn't the most common way of load balancing  something like a web server,
>just round-robin DNS?
>
>I know there are several hardware solutions for load balancing, but I'd say
>round-robin is the most commonly used non-hardware method.
>

>-Mitch
>
>"When all your plans fail, backup, re-group and press on. The only real
>failure is quitting..."

That was the original solution people came up with.  But as some of the
other responses to this thread brought out, it can have problems.

If you need to balance on something other than a random selection then
a hardware (or software) method works.

del ...

--
Craig Shaver, Productivity Group
POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088 (650)390-0654