Date:      Wed, 03 Apr 1996 09:00:14 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        moroney@gil.com.au (Phil Moroney)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Copying files to and from a floppy

> Having successfully installed FreeBSD and being new to
> the UNIX enviornment, could you please tell me how I
> can copy files to and from my floppy disks? Obviously
> using "A:" or "B:" won't work.

You have several choices exchanging files between DOS and unix -
I assume that's what you want when you are saying A: or B:.

1. Get a DOS formatted floppy, insert it into drive 0 or 1
   and type:

   mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt

  (or fd1 resp.)

   after doing that you can cp files back and forth to/from
   /mnt.

   Once you are done, don't forget to

   umount /mnt

2. You can use the mtools

   mdir a:

   mread a:*.* .

   The mtools are in the ports section of the FreeBSD distribution
   and can be found under ports/emulators/mtools. Go there and type
   make all install. (provided you have the appropiate files in your
   /usr/ports tree).

3. Get a DOS tar - there are several PD versions - and
   exchange files via raw floppy devices:

   writing to floppy:

   tar cvf /dev/rfd0a files

   reading from floppy:

   tar xvf /dev/rfd0a

> I think I have to use FTP for the transfers, but I don'r
> know what command I have to use once I am at the ftp> prompt.

ftp is only for exchanging files between computers over a network,
not between devices on a computer - if I understand your question correctly.