Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 05:50:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/7382: Pine4 does not co-exist with older installed version of  pine.

The following reply was made to PR ports/7382; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To: Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc: ady@freebsd.ady.ro, freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 15:46:23 +0300 (EEST)

 Hi,

 On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Satoshi Asami wrote:

 >  *  Don't be sorry, I'm lucky you are dense, or else I could miss this
 >  * aspect...
 >
 > No problem.  Almost everybody (including myself) is confused by shared
 > libraries. :)

  But noone like me... :)

 >  *  Would somehing like the following line do the job for us (reliably) ?
 >
 > I think it's better to change the "base" name.  It's ok to kludge
 > around in Makefiles for ports but shared libraries, once installed,
 > are public property.  We never know what people are doing with them.
 >
 > Since pine4 is now the only "supported" version, how about just
 > renaming the old library to libpico3.so.1.0 or something?

  Ok , I'll byte: how about libpico3.so.1.0 & libpico4.so.1.0 ?
  After all, this shared lib thing was (our) FreeBSD invention...

 >  *  And there is more: there are some files common to both ports (pgp* files
 >  * and the manpages) which will be deleted with the first uninstall of one
 >  * port leaving the other without them. I don't know how we're going to
 >  * handle correctly this (the same situation like netscape-3 vs.
 >  * netscape-4)...
 >
 > Don't worry about that, it's a much larger problem than pine.  Some
 > day the ports framework will come up with a solution.

  I hope that day won't bee too far away, for the sake of our userbase...

 > As far as both versions work fine when they are co-installed, you
 > should be happy.

  If you say so, ok !...

 > Satoshi

  Back to work now, I'll keep you posted with my progress
  Ady (@freebsd.ady.ro)