Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 1996 11:07:59 +0300
From:      "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem installing from 2.2-960612-SNAP

In article <17515.836174545@time.cdrom.com> you wrote:
: Nothing, I think.  FreeBSD doesn't like your DOS partition and probably
: won't until Robert finishes his DOS filesystem rewrite/fix cycle. :-(

: I don't know why this happens to some DOS users and not others
: (fragment size?  partition size?  geometry?  sunspot activity?) but
: it, unfortunately, does.

: 					Jordan

	Recently I've hear an idea in a russian ...unix newsgroup.

	One gentleman was saying, that:

	_if_ you originally had all disk devoted to DOS,

	_and_ you used FIPS later to repartition your disk and
	free some space for FreeBSD at the end,

	_and_ messydos partition became smaller than some "magic" limit --

	you lose, 'cause the claster size of msdos partition at the
	beginning of the disk didn't change (of course) accordingly
	to the new partition size (cluster size depends on
	partition size),  and this way FreeBSD msdosfs goes crazy
	and does all kinds of bad things.

--

	With best regards -- Andrew Stesin.

	+380 (44) 2760188	+380 (44) 2713457	+380 (44) 2713560

	"You may delegate authority, but not responsibility."
					Frank's Management Rule #1.