Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 23:11:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
Cc:        Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@citeweb.net>, <arch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: New rc.d init script roadmap

I killed -hackers, again. Sorry David.

On Sat, 20 Oct 2001, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> Not really.  One more list to follow, when threads in existing lists
> will probably be enough for this.  We don't have one mailing list for
> every port category, or for every different part of contrib/.  It's
> overkill to create a list for something like this IMHO :/

Agreed. This should live in -arch as most of the discussion is going to be
non-technical (do we want it like NetBSD or FreeBSD boot order?). Another
list is not what we need.

Now that we have resolved some of the administrivia, I'm going to take the
weekend off, go camping, and get back to hacking /etc/rc.d/. I already
have a whopping 4 scripts ported over. Only 51+ to go =)

There are already a couple of issues I've seen that will cause some
incompatabilities:

1) Swap controls. NetBSD does something totally different (and better)
that FreeBSD.
2) fsck. There's a nice fsck patch that handles gracefully running fsck -p
on a read-write fs. Can someone check it out? basesrc/sbin/fsck/fsck.c
(revision 1.26). I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'm not much
for hacking C.
3) nfsd and mountd live in /sbin when they belong in /usr/sbin. Please see
pr bin/30972

That's it for the moment, but I'm sure there will be more.

Have a great weekend!
-gordon