Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 22:05:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        "Carlos A. M. dos Santos" <casantos@cpmet.ufpel.tche.br>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: -pthread is going to break under -current soon

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Carlos A. M. dos Santos wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Daniel Eischen wrote:
>
> > In a couple of days, I'll be committing changes to libc and libc_r
> > to allow them to be linked together via -lc_r.  libc_r will only
> > contain the thread functions and will not contain any libc functions
> > as it does currently.
>
> At last! This was something I was waiting for since I started to tweak
> with threaded X applications in FreeBSD.
>
> >  We currently use -pthread as a non-standard hack to link to libc_r
> > and to prevent linking to libc.  After I commit these changes, using
> > -pthread will not work; it will produce an executable that is only
> > linked to libc_r but which also needs to be linked to libc.  This also
> > means that all (shared) threaded apps will need to be recompiled under
> > -current.
>
> Please add weak stubs of pthread_*() in libc.so and use the name
> libpthread instead of libc_r (that is the name that everyone, e.g.
> autoconf, looks for) as made in Solaris (and OpenBSD, I believe). This is
> the reasonable thing to do and will finally end with the messy libXThrStub
> that is used currently to enable threads support in X.

I am reserving libpthread for development of the new threads library
based on KSEs (schedular activations).  Search -arch for more info on
that if you are interested.

libc will have pthread_* stubs.  If you want, you could even make
links from libpthread.{a,so} to libc_r.{a,so.5} and link with
-lpthread.

--
Dan Eischen