Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 2015 07:41:08 -0500
From:      Chris Nehren <cnehren+freebsd-stable@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: push a few config files to dozen or so servers

--k+w/mQv8wyuph6w0

On Thu, Feb 05, 2015 at 13:32:53 +0100, Schaich, Alonso wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Feb 2015 13:02:34 +0100
> Marko Cupa? <marko.cupac@mimar.rs> wrote:
>=20
> > Hi,
> >=20
> > thanks to virtualization, my fleet of FreeBSD hosts have grown to more
> > than dozen, and it still grows. There are some files that need to be
> > identical on all of them (aliases, sudoers, root crontab, pkg repo
> > files etc.).
> >=20
> > I was looking at puppet and cfengine but learning and implementing those
> > seem like an overkill for my purpose.
> >=20
> > Are there any other elegant solutions which can help me achieve my goal?
>=20
> If they really need to be identical all the time, I'd put them on a
> network share mounted at boot and symlink on them from etc, var/mail,
> and so on. repositories can be mount points themselves, so clearly
> candidates for a network share, too.

Putting critical files like sudoers and other files in /etc on a
network share makes me quite uncomfortable, especially in the
case of means to authenticate users or escalate privileges. When
(not if) the network or the file share are unavailable, it
becomes far harder than it needs to be to troubleshoot the
problem. Network filesystems are great, until they break, and
then they're far, far worse than all the alternatives.

--=20
Chris Nehren

--k+w/mQv8wyuph6w0

--k+w/mQv8wyuph6w0--